If you’re looking for a job but are unsure of whether temporary or permanent is right for you, we hope this will help you decide.
Temporary jobs are right for people who:
- Are between jobs – there are many reasons why people need to work between jobs. Some have been on short-term contracts; some leave their previous job before looking for a new one; some have been made redundant; others have a gap between leaving their old job and starting a new one. Temping is a great way to fill the gap.
- Are studying but need to earn money in the holidays – if you’re a student, you’ll need to earn as much money as you can in the holidays in order to make the most of university life without getting too much into debt.
- Would like to start a career but don’t have much experience yet – if you’re new to the job market, returning to it, or you’re changing career path, by doing a series of temporary jobs in a variety of companies, you can learn quite a lot about difference processes, systems and working practices which will benefit you when looking for a permanent job.
- Don’t want to commit themselves to a permanent career – you may be one of those people who don’t want to work in full-time employment at the moment. Perhaps you’ve got family commitments you need to prioritise over work; maybe you love travelling and need work in between jetting off to exotic places; or maybe you just prefer the lifestyle of being able to pick and choose when you work.
- Want to try a company out – large companies will always have a need for temporary staff, so if you want to find out what it’s like working for them without committing yourself to a job, temping is for you. And if you do like the company and want to work for them on a permanent basis, you’re in the right place to network with and impress the right people!
- Need to earn money whilst they find the right job – at some point in their lives, most people will think seriously about a change of career. If you’re in a job you don’t like but need a bit of space to think about the sort of job you really want, temping is a good way of not only earning money in the meantime, but also getting to know different companies, people and ways of working.
Permanent jobs are right for people who:
- Want to build a career – if you’re ambitious to climb the career ladder, you need to be in continuous employment at one company in order to prove your worth and your loyalty.
- Would like financial stability – financial stability is the main reason why most people work and it is especially important if you would like to get on the housing ladder.
- Like being part of a team – most people cite their colleagues as one of the main influences of whether they enjoy being at work or not. According to the Happiness Research Institute, we derive greater job satisfaction if we’re held in high esteem by our colleagues. So if you like being with other people, a permanent job is a perfect way to become part of the team.
- Want the legal protection offered by having a permanent job – whilst no-one can be guaranteed a job for life these days, having a permanent job affords you a certain amount of protection by law, such as statutory sick leave, maternity/paternity leave and access to a pension scheme. You’ll also enjoy disciplinary and redundancy rights and protection against unfair dismissal.
- Don’t like change – if you don’t like being on the move all the time, a permanent job is perfect for your lifestyle.
Temporary to permanent jobs
Temporary to permanent jobs are a great way for a company and a candidate to test the waters before they commit. The idea is that someone works as a permanent employee but on a temporary basis for a few months. If things don’t work out, then the two parties can simply and easily part company.
If you’re looking for a temporary, permanent or temporary to permanent position in the industry, catering or healthcare industries, search the jobs we currently have available, or call us on 01992 620200 to talk about the kind of job you’re looking for.