St Albans, Hertfordshire
Overall scope and purpose of job
To give quality service, both to customers and colleagues. To be responsible for the organisation, control and efficient running of a nominated section (corner or department) of the kitchen, according to specified standards of the hotel and department, adhering to company and statutory regulations.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Have a full operational knowledge of all recipes /standards /portion sizes/ yields/ presentation style of dishes produced within that designated section.
- Ensure that sufficient supplies/stores are requisitioned and received, to meet the expected business demands of the shift/session.
- Receive details of the menu requirements and quantities/portions needed from the Head Chef – Liaise with the Sous Chef or Head Chef with any production queries.
- Plan and allocate jobs/tasks to subordinate staff, ensuring that all items produced are according to standard recipes, portion yields and within agreed time limits and minimum wastage.
- Check that all food safety regulations and procedures are fully complied with. Report any defective equipment or safety hazards within the kitchen.
- Conduct any special daily or periodic duties (e.g. Refrigerator temperature readings/recordings).
- Assist with the training and development of subordinate staff. Maintain records as required.
- Monitor and supervise the end of service procedures (e.g. return of unused food, cleaning).
- Assist with the security of the keys, personal property and the kitchen and stores area. Report any unauthorised persons in the area.
- Help to encourage commodity, fuel and energy savings without detrimental effects on standards, service or safety.
- Establish and maintain effective communications with subordinate, colleagues and senior staff (e.g. pre-session briefings). Work in co-operation with other departments, especially restaurant and other food services.
- Attend hotel and departmental training sessions when required.
- Encourage safe working procedures and to comply with statutory and company health and safety regulations, especially fire precautions, manual handling, chemical usage and storage, disposal of waste materials and reporting of accidents.
- Deputise for vacant positions in the kitchen and assist other departments during emergencies or as deemed necessary by the head chef or guest relations manager.
- Carry out other duties/tasks outside normal routines but within the overall scope of the job.